- 38% are "extremely" and 27% "very" proud to be Americans
- Extreme pride at new lows for Republicans (58%), independents (34%)
- Democrats' 26% extreme pride near record low
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The 38% of U.S. adults who say they are "extremely proud" to be American is the lowest in Gallup's trend, which began in 2001. Still, together with the 27% who are "very proud," 65% of U.S. adults express pride in the nation. Another 22% say they are "moderately proud," while 9% are "only a little" and 4% "not at all" proud.
This record-low level of extreme national pride comes at a challenging time in the U.S. as a pandemic-weary public is struggling with the highest U.S. inflation rate in more than four decades. These data are from a June 1-20 poll that was conducted after mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, claimed 31 lives, including 19 children. Bipartisan gun legislation in response to the shootings was passed shortly after the poll ended. The polling also preceded the U.S. Supreme Court's highly anticipated and controversial ruling overturning Roe v. Wade.
It is possible that these two developments will impact the level of pride Americans feel in their country today. Gallup data show strong public support both for stricter gun laws in the U.S. and for not overturning Roe v. Wade.
While the current 38% expressing extreme pride is the historical low by four percentage points, the combined 65% reading for those who are extremely or very proud was two points lower in 2020 than it is today. The current readings are well below the trend averages of 55% extremely proud and 80% extremely or very proud.
Before 2015, no less than 55% of U.S. adults said they were extremely proud. The highest readings followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks, when patriotism surged in the U.S.
However, extreme national pride in the U.S. has been trending downward since 2015, falling below the majority level in 2018; it is nearly 20 points lower now than it was a decade ago.
Record-Low National Pride Among Republicans and Independents
Republicans' pride in being American has consistently outpaced Democrats' and independents' since 2001 and does so today. However, Republicans' extreme national pride (58%) is now at its lowest point in the trend. Independents' extreme pride, at 34%, is likewise the lowest on record for the group.
After hitting a 22% low point in 2019, Democrats' extreme pride rose to 31% in 2021 at the start of Joe Biden's presidency, but it is down this year to 26%.
All three major party groups show double-digit declines in pride compared with 2013, with Democrats' 30-point decline the largest. The current 32-point gap in Democratic versus Republican pride is larger than the historical average though smaller than the record-high 54-point gap in 2019.
Majorities of each partisan group currently say they are at least very proud, including 84% of Republicans, 62% of independents and 52% of Democrats.
National Pride Higher Among Men, Less Educated, Older Americans
National pride is notably higher among groups that are more likely to identify as Republicans -- men, older Americans and those without a college degree.
Although Americans' national pride is at or near historical lows, depending on the measure, a majority of U.S. adults remain proud to be an American. This dimension of patriotism has been subject to change throughout the years, depending on a variety of factors, including the popularity of the sitting president, the health of the economy, and high-profile national events such as the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In recent years, all party groups have become less inclined to say they are proud of their country, which may reflect deepening political divisions and party gridlock in Washington, as well as national challenges regarding race relations, COVID-19 policies and inflation.
To stay up to date with the latest Gallup News insights and updates, follow us on Twitter.
Learn more about how the Gallup Poll Social Series works.